You all know how much we at KinchLyons value emotional intelligence! Christmas can be a time of heigtened emotion for so many of us, here are a few tips to help you recognise and use those emotions effectively!
Based on the EQ-i 2.0 model of emotionall intelligence, here are some ideas!
- Self-awareness: Christmas can be an emotional rollercoaster – take time to tune in to all of the emotions that you are feeling and figure out what is triggering them.
- Self-Regard: Look back at the year that’s been and remind yourself of how you have survived and all that you’ve achieved.
- Self-Actualisation: Instead of New year resolutions, set yourself goals for 2021. Pick a small number of goals that energise and stretch you.
- Emotional Self-Expression: Allow yourself to cry during “Willy Wonka” or “It’s a Wonderful Life”!!
- Interpersonal Relationships: Make time for those key relationships both at work and in your personal life. Choose one or two for special attention. These may require extra effort and attention this year as you may not be able to be with those people.
- Empathy: Spend more time listening than talking. Make a point each day of listening with interrupting.
- Social Responsibility: Perform a small unseen act of kindness each day over Christmas.
- Reality Testing: When trying to juggle multiple tasks and competing deadlines over Christmas, take time to step back and use a reality check to ensure you’re making the best decisions about what’s most important
- Impulse Control: Don’t open all of your presents on Christmas morning – keep a few to open on January 6th (test your willpower!)
- Stress Tolerance: Yes, Christmas has it’s own stresses. Practice mindfulness each morning to set you up for the day.
- Flexibility: Have a day with no plan and just enjoy the feeling of spontaneity. Surprise yourself!
- Optimism: Pick one big challenge that lies ahead in 2021 and proactively choose to look at it instead as being an opportunity. Changing the way you view this will change the outcomes you can expect to get.